9/15/2016

The Very Beginning



How It All Started

It started with bad news. But doesn't it usually, a life-changing event that is?
I work at the IRS, yes actually. I'm a seasonal employee meaning that I only work for the Tax Season Mid January to Mid June. I like it. It's a busy place with deadlines. It is a friendly place as well. It is a great place to work. The only problem is that I don't work more than 6 months. Then the rest of the year is hard to deal with no money because of  rules of unemployment I don't get it until October. Summer is hard. Okay, enough about that. Onto the bad news....The IRS is closing out my job. I work with the paper filings and they are getting rid of all that.  It started with President Obama when he wanted the Federal Government to go green. I'm all for it, but it's now affecting my job. Some people still do prefer filing on paper, and there are a few reasons why they can only file on paper. But the majority of Americans have to do it online. So, in 5 years time, I will be saying goodbye to the IRS.

Now you are more than likely thinking that It's okay, you have 5 years to find another job. Well, yes I do, but I will also be 52. There aren't too many prospects for a 52-year-old woman. My husband J suggested that I go to college. I've never been so I got kind of excited. Then I started thinking of all the things I wanted to do. I also daydream a lot. But it didn't take me too long to actually take to long to decide. I told my youngest daughter C about the conversation I had with my husband. She is a business major so of course, she told me to open a business. HA I thought, I don't know the first thing about that. Then it dawned on me that there is one thing that I could do, that I actually liked to do and that I am already pretty good at.


I want to be a writer.

Yes, so I have decided to become a writer, a storyteller, an author. My family is  supportive, but there was no surprise there. I do also have a secret. I already have two ideas for novels that I have been wanting to write and even started one. Started it last year. Another thing that I struggle with is motivation. I'm hoping that starting a blog will help me with that. I will treat this like a diary on some days and maybe write short stories on other days. Never know.

So now the big question is how do I get started. J is the one that suggested that I start a blog, (thanks, honey). Now I just need to find out how to get into a class and how to pay for it. Got any ideas?

But your dream?

 Well, no. My first dream was to be a nurse. Then I started working in a doctors office. Now don't get me wrong, doctors are great, but they were not for me. Then I got into customer service and did that for a while. Loved that! I like talking to people and getting to know them. Then I even toyed with the idea of being a chef, fashion designer, purse designer, and artist. I still enjoy crocheting, sewing, and cooking. But unless I go to culinary school or fashion design school I couldn't make a good living at those. So I came up with writing. I  do enjoy doing it. I always have. I am pretty good at it too, but I will let you be the judge of that. I used to write short stories as a kid. I also wrote them in high school. If I got bored in class I would write one and give them to my best friend S for her to read in her classes. She still has them. I dabbled in writing poetry in my twenties as well. I just like to do it and I know that I can do it.

But what will you write?

Good question. I just don't know. I like to read and my favorite subject is Historical Fiction. I am thinking of going in that direction. My two novel ideas pertain to the past. What are those ideas? HA, I'm not telling!

Okay, so that is where I am right now. I know where I want to go but just not knowing how to get there. Wish me luck:)

See ya in the next chapter.
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment